Project: Shirt Resuscitation

[Side note: I’m supposed to be working right now, because I have a deadline tomorrow. Therefore, I am blogging. But, of course.]

I bought a bunch of tees at a large discount store a while back, and regretted it instantly because they are partially synthetic. I generally avoid the store because my previous experience with their clothes has been awful, to say the least.

Anyway, I am easily beguiled by colours, and I fell in love with this gorgeous shocking pink one. Pink has easily been my favourite colour since I was little, even though I went through this phase of ‘don’t-gender-stereotype-me-!’ in between, where I chose predominantly black and blue. Spoiler alert: it didn’t last long. With my complexion, medium to dark pinks work fairly well.

The tee in question, being made of questionable fabric, ripped rather easily after a few washes. I thought it would be a good opportunity to give it a bit of a lift, so mum and I bought some lace that matched it perfectly.

We gave it to a tailor, but because he used a sewing machine to attach said lace, the fabric underneath ripped rather dramatically. I took it back, and unpicked the lace from the top. The lace was mostly salvaged, and I can use it in the future for something or the other. Darned the rips in the fabric, so now I have a Frankenstein’s monster pink tee. [And a close up of the darned bits.]

Now, as you can see, the rips are all around the neck area, and they are rather inconveniently in different spots on both sides.

At this point, my mum suggested I chuck the thing in the bin and call it a day. But. BUT. I love surface embroidery, and I do not have the guts to actually try any of it out on good clothes or fabric. So this becomes the ideal training ground!

First, I drew a pattern that would cover the rips. Badly, I know, I’m not an artist. I had the outlines of the tee, and made sure that the A4 sheets covered the rips.

Ha. First thing I realised is: “Ambitious much, dipshit?” Those flowers are colossal. I cannot satin stitch those large areas, without the thread eventually sagging. So I now have to learn some other filling stitches.

Then, it occurred to me that I would need fusible interfacing. Otherwise, I could reasonably expect a repeat performance of the lace fiasco. So I bought that.

Finally, I don’t have embroidery thread. So what does smart-aleck Sundaram do? She orders it online, comparing the original photographs of the flowers on one tab, with the skeins on another tab. [And then I wonder why projects terrify me? Because I set myself up for failure every time with this go-big-or-go-home attitude.]

Anyway. This arrived in the mail a few days later:

I think I got enough, don’t you?

Now what remains is the actual project. Considering it has taken me almost 8 months to draw up a design, buy interfacing and thread, and buy yellow carbon paper for the design transfer, I wouldn’t hold my breath for any finishes any time soon.

But, since I am quite excited to do this, I will create a project index when I do start. [Standard disclaimer: Subject to memory not failing dismally at concerned time.]

Advertisements

Tell me what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s