I was dreading the huge peony, because it truly is gargantuan. Plus, I had cut the pattern into its component bits, so realigning was in my future. Lack of confidence overall, played a huge part in this.
About 10 days ago, I pulled it out, determined to conquer the peony bogey. I aligned it, and started basting. I got a good 30% through the thing, before I realised that I was stitching on top of the sweet pea flowers. I harrumphed a little, but decided to plow on nonetheless, figuring I could make it foreground-background.
Then, I realised the pattern overlapped the sleeve’s seam. Hm. No way I could fix that. Out came the hoop, and the paper. And I proceeded to unpick the 30% of peony I had painstakingly basted. Tears may have been shed. The project went back into the bag, some unpicking still remaining.
Day before yesterday, I pulled it back out, deciding to at least finish the unpicking. I located a seam ripper I had bought, and promptly forgotten, and attacked the peony with vengeance. Finally, broken pieces of thread lay in a bowl, and my shirt was back to the just the sweet peas.
With some trepidation, I lined up the peony again, and basted some tentative, preliminary stitches. It took me two days, but I finished the sucker. Yesterday, I pulled out the last bit of paper.
[I do not anticipate finishing this thing in my lifetime.]
Now I have the other side to do. It has a lily, a bunch of tulips, and a scabiosa. The peony and the lily are about the same size, but the scabiosa sketch is terrifyingly detailed.